Users are locked out of their account after they exceed an organization’s number of allowed failed login attempts. See Security Settings for information about setting this number.
This article covers the following:When a user’s account is locked, a red ( ! ) status icon appears next to their name in the Users list.
If you hover over the icon, a tooltip tells you if the user’s account has been locked due to repeated failed login attempts or due to an expired password. Read about user status icons. Also, an account locked out status shows on a user’s details in the User panel.
Tip: You can filter the Users list to show users with locked accounts.
Note about concurrent lockouts: User accounts can be concurrently locked out: accounts can be locked after repeated failed login attempts and have an expired password at the same time. In this situation, the account locked out status shows on their User panel. After the account is unlocked, the password expired status shows and the account password needs to be reset.
You can unlock a single user from the User panel or multiple users from the More Actions menu on the Users list. When you unlock a user account that is locked due to failed login attempts, the accumulated failed login attempts are cleared and users regain access to their account. Be aware that unlocking a user account doesn’t automatically reset their password. If users don’t remember their account password, they need to have their password reset.
Also be aware that only accounts that are locked due to failed login attempts can be unlocked. Accounts locked due to expired passwords cannot be unlocked. Learn about the difference between locked and expired accounts.
Unlock a User Account from the User Panel
To unlock a user’s account from the User panel:
- From the JumpCloud Administrator Portal, go to a user’s details in the User panel.
- Click the account locked out status, then select Unlock User Account.
- The user account is unlocked and you see a notification of the successful unlock.
Unlock One or More User Accounts from the Users List
To unlock user accounts from the Users list Bulk Actions menu:
- From the JumpCloud Administrator Portal, go to the Users list.
- Select one or more users with an account locked status.
- Click more actions, then select Unlock User Account.
- The selected user accounts are unlocked and you see a notification of their successful unlock.