MacOS applications installation media can come in a variety of different forms, PKG files, ZIP files, or DMG files.
DMG files interact with the MacOS system similar to USB sticks and once these files are double-clicked they can be handled more or less the same way.
- double click the DMG to make its content available (name will show up in the Finder sidebar), usually a window opens showing the content as well
- drag the application from the DMG window into /Applications to install (may need an administrator password)
- wait for the copy process to finish
- eject the DMG (by clicking the eject button in the Sidebar)
- delete the DMG from Downloads
Find examples below for installing applications on MacOS silently from DMG files using JumpCloud commands.